Wednesday 7 December 2011

My Book list

Greetings!
Some of you may know me, so you will be aware that I am a bookworm, but without the worminess of it all (worms are amazing but ugly little things). In terms of non-fiction, I read only the English classics (I'm not into the other...'junk' books. And non-fiction, it's all mainly social sciences and religious readings.

I thought I'd share some of the recently read (and not so much), beloved classic novels and non-fiction books I enjoyed.

Read and recommended:
  • The Color Purple, by  Alice Walker
  • To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
  • Made to Stick (non-fiction), by Chip Heath, Dan Heath
  • Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About (non-fiction), by Kevin Trudeau
  • The Tipping Point (non-fiction), by Malcom Gladwell

I will leave you with these for the time being, but for those of you who don't know about some of these books, I'll give you a briefing.
-The color Purple is an amazing story about a black girls life in America, from her childhood where she was abused by her father, to her inner victories and triumphs in her later years. It opens your mind and softens your heart.
-To Kill a Mockingbird, the name might be a bit misleading, but overall it is a wonderful story written from a little girls perspective about her family life, the strange neighbour that never comes out of his home and the racist society and court case of a black man.
-Made to Stick, some insight into how to make things memorable, get peoples attention and have an impact on your audience. Good for Da'wah purposes, business and marketing ideas.
- Natural Cures - Not my favourite book in the world, as the author seems a little over zealous at times and almost laughably exaggerated, but the general idea is good. Simply, the ways in which our society make us think they're making us a more well society, but are actually making us more ill in order to make money.
- The Tipping point, The last straw on the camels back. What makes a TV show suddenly BOOM, how the latest fashions catch on etc. I didn't finish the whole book (unintentionally) but what I read I enjoyed.

I'll leave you with that for now, and I will share my 'to read' list with you all next time!
Happy reading my fellow wormy book lovers xx

No comments:

Post a Comment